Sunday Dinners - Time For Family Gatherings
Bernie, my husband, takes over the blog today to share one of his recipes.
If you live in a multi-generational household, or regularly cook for a lot of people, you know that it can be a challenge to come up with recipes that satisfy all palates. On most evenings we include Debb's parents for dinner, and we know what they like, so it is fairly predictable. But on Sundays, almost anyone can show up, so we prepare meals that are flavorful, but can satisfy most tastes in food. Here's one of our favorites that is relatively easy to fix, and can be expanded to accommodate more people.
Roast Chicken with Sun-Died Tomatoes and Artichoke Hearts
This is a versatile dish that can be made with a whole chicken, butterflied so it will cook faster. You can substitute chicken breasts or chicken sausages instead of the whole chicken. It uses jarred, marinated artichoke hearts for convenience. Add a side of pasta, a green salad, a loaf of rustic bread, and it’s a hearty meal that will serve many and be a winner.
1 whole chicken, butterflied for roasting
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
½ cup marinated artichoke hearts, chopped
2 tablespoons capers (Optional – adding capers will give it more of a puttanesca quality. You could say it’s more “puttanesca-esque”. Sorry!)
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes, or ripe tomatoes if you have them
¼ teaspoon chopped rosemary
¼ teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
Salt and pepper to taste
1. We like to roast the chicken outside on the grill. But if you prefer to cook it inside, pre-heat the oven to 350°F, place the butterflied chicken (breast up) on a baking sheet and bake for about 35 minutes until done (internal temperature of at least 165°).
2. While chicken is roasting, heat the olive oil in a skillet, on medium heat
3. Add the garlic, sun-dried tomatoes and artichokes (and capers if using)
4. Sauté for 5 minutes
5. Add the tomatoes and herbs
5. Simmer for about 15 minutes – the sauce is ready
6. Cut the cooked chicken into serving portions, spoon the sauce over the chicken and serve with side dishes. Enjoy!
The Carl Group, Serving Clark County, WA
Specializing in Vancouver - Camas - Washougal - Fisher's Landing
you can always find me at ExploringClarkCounty.com
As an EcoBroker, I combine my love of nature, people and the planet with my job as a Realtor®, that way, I can help you live in a more beautiful, comfortable and healthier environment, and save you money. Let me be your guide.
In addition, my passion for the Northwest lifestyle and our area's many neighborhoods ensure you a great selling or buying experience.